Friday 21 October 2011

DO Something!



Having just bought a new keyboard that is actually cool to type on, I figured it’s time to blog again. I haven’t blogged since about May. It seems as if I have had a somewhat, semi-permanent, ‘writer’s block’, which may be the reason why I never started blogging years ago.

I’m now nearing the end of a major chapter in my life. 13 more exams stand in the way of me and the ‘real’ world. Most people will tell you that they are terrified and wish they could stay in High School forever. I’ve heard spurts of wisdom countless times.

“High School is the best time of your life.”

“I wish I could be back in High School.”

“Don’t wish your life away!”

Personally, I can say that overall, I did not enjoy my time at High School. And I don’t believe that this is the common ‘teenage angst’ that everyone goes through during their five year stint. No. I’m not saying that I was unhappy either. I had many good times, laughs, memories, friends and achievements, but I will say that I don’t feel that I really clicked with many people there. There weren’t many that saw the world just as I do.

I look at humanity, and it destroys part of my soul. I look at the way we act towards others and the things we think to ourselves. Such perverse, horrible, tainting acts. I’m definitely not taking myself out of this equation. I am human too. I destroy. I abuse others. I abuse myself. But I do believe that I at least TRY to contrast this negativity by being compassionate to people around me. I TRY to give myself the proverbial ‘slap on the wrist’ whenever I’m being horrible. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn’t.

I know this is a very pessimistic view on the world. But I fear that this pessimism is rather realism. Not everyone is an advocate of war. Not everyone believes that Japan deserved the tsunami as karma. A lot of people do missionary work to help the victims of poverty. A lot of people donate to charity.

However, a lot of people, and I fear it to be the majority, do NONE of the above. They live their lives indifferently. They do not wish death on other people, nor do they pray for the homeless. They go on in their little boxes, living for themselves. And this is what is sending the world into the downward spiral it began many centuries ago.


The more we live indifferently, the worse the world becomes. Apathy will be the death of us all. There are only a few inherently evil people in this world, and by us doing nothing, we condone their behaviour. By the same token, there are only a few people who go out of their way to counter this. The rest of us are left in limbo. Not doing good things nor doing bad things. (Please note, I think the majority of people are born inherently good, but we just don’t act on it.)

I believe that if everyone put just a little more effort into touching onto that ‘good scale’, big things will happen to this world.

I realise that my ramblings about school may not make any sense. School is where I have been my entire life. It has been my ‘world’. That is where I have lived my moments and the majority of people I know are peers. And it scares me to think that if I can notice the human condition in the 500 odd learners in my school, how far and wide does it spread and how intense can it become? It is an overwhelming and terrifying thought.

Lastly, I’m not trying to be ‘holier than though’. I’m hardly perfect and I know it. I don’t believe that I’m on that ‘good scale’ yet, but I’m hoping that each day I am reaching closer to it.

As clichéd this may sound, we have the power to change the ways of the world. We just need to learn to harness it.

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment