Monday 24 October 2011

Ramblings

I have decided that I cannot be profound and thought-provoking all of the time and since this is MY blog, and I feel like writing, I am free to ramble on about ANYTHING! What a liberating feeling once you get over the hurdle of, “Well, it’s just not that interesting.”

On Saturday, I went to watch my best friend, Emma, perform a monologue at a ‘V-Girl Rally’. It was all about women empowerment within the world, but more importantly within ourselves. It is mainly being able to be ourselves, and wear what we want, without being looked down-upon or abused by others. The thing that struck me was the enormous response to a question posed by one of the women. “Who here has been physically or sexually abused at some point in their lives? Who here knows someone who has been physically or sexually abused at some point in their lives?” Every girl had their hand raised. Every guy had their hand raised.

This morning I woke up to news about two girls being burnt by two boys in the koppies up the road from my school. A group of friends went up the koppie on Friday night (AT NIGHT?!) and started a bonfire. Two of the boys poured petrol on a girl and set her alight. The other girl got burnt trying to help her. The rest ran away. This was apparently an attempt at a Satanic sacrifice. I am Christian, yet even I know that this is a weak attempt at hiding behind something for their actions. I cannot understand what could possess someone (excuse the pun) to do something so horrific!
I mean, I know I am not perfect. No-one is. But I cannot comprehend how anyone could have the will to rape or murder another. I am almost at a loss for words to describe how repulsed I am at this.

We live in a sick, sick world.

However, I like to try and see the cup as half full. At least there are people who are DOING something (see my last post), just like the ‘V-Girls’ (http://www.v-girls.org/). And seeing my sister, Emma, up there doing what she was born to do, I felt privileged to know someone who DOES something (V-Girl and Animal Anti-Cruelty Rallies). Her monologue inspired me and gave me goosebumps. Luckily I had sunglasses on too, because my eyes were watering with pride. A part of me will go with her to Rhodes next year, where she is destined for great things. I can even envision her psyching up people fight for their rights down there. What a leader for what she believes in.

Anyway, I believe that my need to write tonight has been fulfilled. It may not have been perfect content or grammatically perfect. But it was perfect for me. And right now, that’s what matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment